Saturday, February 27, 2010

Weeks 4 and 5 at the Studio















The last two weeks have been really busy with paper writing and research but low and behold, I head for the studio again today. This and last week I worked a lot on my paper for my Fellowship at Princeton of which the draft is due in about 6 days. More than half is written and more to come. On Thursday I go to school to talk to another focus group...maybe two. My research topic is about students attending college who are wired and linked but lack skills and/or confidence when using a computer for school work and yes, this is a reality to some degree. So, I have spent a lot time reading, tallying, and assessing surveys to students and faculty. I am so incredibly grateful to those who are filling out the surveys so maybe at some level we can help our students even more who have these barriers or at the least understand that this problem is "out there" in an age when technology is so wide spread.

I have also been working on my Uncreative Writing class projects. I am taking the class with Kenny Goldsmith who is a primary editor and founder of Ubu.com. The class is a roller coaster ride. We go off the topic and into other topics especially in the area of conceptual, abstract and non-objective art. We look at the intricacies of language as it exists, is used, borrowed and placed both in context and out of context. My last assignment was to place my borrowed saying on the land. Let me share with you the slide show and turn on your speakers. (Frankly, as a creative person, it is pretty damn hard to be uncreative.)

For PC users:
http://venus.atlantic.edu/cheryl/writing/graffiti.html

For MAC Users:
http://venus.atlantic.edu/cheryl/writing/graffiti_media/graffiti.swf

What better way to do this than to explore Marshall McLuhan? There are other static pieces I have created with digital tools such as one about health care and a tribute to Joseph Cornell which I will collate into an efolio.

With that being said and a lot of really snowy days (and I love the snow but c'mon now), I have focused on priming panels and settling on a imprimatura. My painting panels are from Cheap Joe's Art Stuff and they are actually cheap and are really archival. They are smooth tung wood which is cradled on nicely mitered supports. Very neat indeed. I will double prime these with gesso and I have the badge to prove it as I dropped the open container of gesso on Wednesday and got sprayed all over my black pants. Now I have a pair of pants that show the badge of being an artist and will now accompany me to get additional marks and badges as I work.

With making small paintings on different colored grounds (the imprimitura), I think I have finally settled on a ground. The burnt sienna looks red and washy and the raw sienna looks better but the blues and cool colors don't glow as much. Compromise is certainly needed. So, I have put on a coat of raw sienna first and burnt sienna second. Voila! They glow now! But, longing for collage, I plan on ordering larger panels and collaging and working the surface much more like my older shadow boxes but with no shadow.

Also, I have two prints in the current show at the Riverfront Renaissance Center for the Arts show Marks and Remarks and I will post them. One is called Backlit John (below~my husband with a guitar) and the other is my brother in law Tom (at top of blog). Both are midnight blue ink on Rives BFK paper.






Soon I will have access to a press again and am talking to a local art center about offering a monotype workshop in the fall. Stay tuned. Also, I applied for Associate Membership through the Riverfront and after going through the jurying process I am happy to say, it was a success.
In spite of the weather, I return to the studio today. I hope this week affords me some good studio time and I love the snow but hopefully, we are nearly into spring so I can get outside and do some plein air works! More to come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment